Penang International Conference on Sustainable Cultural Development
Theme : The Economics of Heritage Revitalisation
Date : October 8 – 9, 2009
Venue : G Hotel, Penang
George Town was inscribed as UNESCO World Heritage Site on July 7, 2008. As Penang celebrate the first anniversary of George Town as a World Heritage Site this year (2009), investPenang, Penang Development Corporation (PDC), Majlis Perbandaran Pulau Pinang (MPPP) and World Heritage Office (WHO) have come together to organise an International Conference on Sustainable Cultural Development to mark this glorious occasion.
The objectives of organising the Penang International Conference on Sustainable Cultural Development were to:
- Convene international, national & local experts to propose & discuss sustainable cultural development strategies for George Town’s World Heritage listing
- Showcase George Town’s cultural development potential & conservation efforts, in the celebration of the 1st anniversary of George Town’s World Heritage listing
- Address the World Heritage Committee recommendations for the establishment of a comprehensive conservation plan, reduction of motorised traffic, control on tourism pressures, establishment of incators especially related to sustainable cultural development
The Conference is expected to:
- Mobilise tourism player and stakeholders to work towards optimising George Town’s cultural development potential
- Build understanding and capacity towards sustainable cultural development
- Explore ideas and means of creating alternative livelihoods & identifying areas to refocus and retain during the current economic downturn
- Create partnerships & packages that involve cultural development with other businesses
- Generate international media stories about George Town as a World Heritage Site
All the conference speakers, expect for Pn Maimunah were from overseas. The moderators, discussants and panellists were local experts or industry players.